Re: xpointer

In a message dated 04/03/02 09:52:36 GMT Standard Time, sayed@cs.uni-sb.de
writes:

> my name is sayed
>
> i have one question
>
> i have xml documents ( 30 documents) stored in database these document have
> xpointer. the problem is these documents are updates every time so the
> xlink and xpointer are not points to the correct elelment after update the
> document, so the question is how can i now the correct element that the
> xpointer points to after updates the documents ( this document is stored in
> database)

Sayed,

I guess, although you don't say so, you are using child sequences in
XPointers to locate the elements and attributes of interest to you.

I suggest that you consider (at least going forward) adding an ID attribute
to relevant elements. If the document structure changes then the value of the
ID attribute remains the same and provides a stable point for an XPointer to
use.

I hope that helps a little.

Andrew Watt