Re: Qualifying links

This isn't really the right list for this type of discussion (XML-Dev
probably is), but anyway...

You're right that xlink:href needs to be on there in order for the
xlink:role attribute to apply to the URIs.  There's more infrastructure
that's needed too: These have to be made into XLink links with
xlink:type="simple" or whatever.  (The <container> would be entirely
ignored by XLink applications in this case, and you'd have to resort to
using extended links to get it to be significant.)

Role values are supposed to be URI references.  If you've standardized on
some roles that you care about, you could publish them (e.g. as RDF
properties) and then you and others could use them in XLink links.

Hope this helps,

         Eve