Re: I18N last call comments on XLink

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 09:40:17PM +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
> Dear XML Linking WG/IG,

  Hi Martin,

> Below please find the comments of the Internationalzation
> (I18N) WG and IG on the last call for XLink.
>
> In order of importance:
>
> The definition of "URI reference" should be changed to make
> sure that the provisions of http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#URIs
> are taken into account. This applies to the definition just
> before Section 2, and to Section 3.4.
> [as already discussed in another forum,
> the provisions should be included in the XLink spec rather than
> being referred to]

  This was agreed and the WG instructed the editors to do so.
Basically we expect them to reuse the same explanation which was
used for XPointer.

> 3.1.4: 'multiple titles are necessary for internationalization purposes':
> This sounds good, but it should be clearly defined how these are
> supposed to be selected (e.g. say something like:
> If multiple title elements are present, and they have different
> values of the xml:lang attribute, then for display,... the language
> variant that is most suited for the user should be choosen).
> (for further details, a pointer to the HTTP spec or the
> SMIL 1.0 spec would also help).
>
> It also should be made clear that 'for cases where human-readable
> label information needs further element markup', these cases
> occur much more often e.g. in bidirectional contexts or in East
> Asia.

  Again the group agreed and the editors will reuse your wording.

> The example just before section 2.1 uses examples such as
> 'my:' and 'http://me.com/'. Such references to the first
> person (and the difference between them) may be difficult
> to translate into some languages. The example should be
> changed to avoid such problems.

  This is fixed already, other pinpointed the problem too and we are
now using the example.[com,net,org] domain names reserved for this
purpose.

   thanks for your comments,

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW