Re: XBase/XPointer/XLink and an I-D for XML media types

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 01:14:37AM +0900, muraw3c@attglobal.net wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am writing this mail as a co-author of the I-D for XML based media
> types.  We believe that this I-D is almost ready for Last Call.
> Encouraged by the XML Core WG, we plan to go for a draft standard of
> IETF.  The I-D is currently available at:
>
>       http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murata-xml-04.txt
>
> Since this I-D has a media type for external parsed entities, another
> media type for external DTD subsets and external parameter entities,
> and a naming convention for XML-based media types, we feel that we
> should try to publish an RFC soon.
>
> However, this I-D references to XBase, XPointer, and XLink.  In
> particular, section 5 "Fragment Identifiers" is strongly related with
> XPointer and section 6 "The Base URI" is almost dedicated to XBase.
> These specs are working drafts rather than W3C recommendations.  We
> are not sure if RFCs should reference to working drafts of W3C.
>
> We are wondering if we should omit references to XBase/XPointer/XLink
> as well as sections 5 and 6, or we should wait for a while, if XML
> Base and XPointer are expected to become W3C recommendations quite
> soon.  We would appreciate it very much if the XML Linking WG kindly
> gives some advice.

   Murata,

   thanks a lot for your query.

The XML Linking Working Group met today and discussed the issue.
With the current W3C process it is actually difficult to estimate how
long the processing to move a W3C Working Draft from Last Call to
Recommendation status can take.
We also noted that the availablility of the I-D for XML based media
type will be useful to advance XPointer to W3C Recommendation status.

In order to avoid a loophole in the dependancies, we suggest you publish
the RFC, after removing normative references to the XML Base, XPointer,
and XLink Working Drafts (which as noted in their Status should not
be used normatively).
If possible, keeping non-normative references (possibly in prose)
to XML Base, XPointer, and XLink would be the preferred option from
the XML Linking Working Group.

  thanks in advance,

Daniel

XML Linking Working Group co-chair
for the XML Linking Working Group

P.S: could you use the them "XML Base" instead of "XBase", we were
     notified that "XBase" is the name of an existing well-known
     software and we would like to avoid any confusion, thanks

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW