Re: xlxp-dev: Extended Link Groups Requirement

At 10:57 PM 3/23/99 +1000, Philip Rutherford wrote:
>The only thing that doesn't seem to be in the new XLink requirements
>document is the requirement corresponding to 'Extended Link Groups' from
>the old working draft.

The concept is still there, albeit by implication. I.e., under, 4.
Requirements, A. General user requirements, Item 3 states:

  3: It must be possible for an XML link to address into a resource
     without requiring modification of that resource. Thus, a link
     need not physically occur within any of the resources it points to.

What is not included is the concept of "steps": The facility to specify to
XLink processing the depth of nested documents. Possibly this requirement
might be derived, again by implication, from:

"5: Each end of a link, as an abstract datatype, must make at least the
following information available to an application:"

[3rd bullet item] "Some behavior hints that may suggest certain treatment
on the part of link processors."

The "steps" concept is important from several standpoints, including
packaging, printing, and "look ahead" caching, so it will need to be
addressed in some way (or ways).

Best regards,

Ralph E. Ferris
Fujitsu Software Corporation