Re: Slight architectural discrepancy between XMl 1.0 & the infoset

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 13:36, Tim Bray wrote:
> The infoset recommendation is slightly inconsistent with the XML
> recommendation, in that the infoset rec says "There is a comment information
> item for each XML comment in the original document, except for those
> appearing in the DTD (which are not represented)."  while the XML
> recommendation says "an XML processor may, but need not, make it
> possible for an application to retrieve the text of comments.".
>
> This seems serious to me, the infoset seems to be requiring
> behavior of software which a reasonable reader of the XML 1.0
> would not expect. -Tim

The comment is there whether the software reports it or not.

There's lots of stuff in the infoset that processors
aren't required to report.

I don't see this as a problem.

"The XML Information Set does not require or favor a specific interface
or class of interfaces. This specification presents the information set
as a modified tree for the sake of clarity and simplicity, but there is
no requirement that the XML Information Set be made available through a
tree structure; other types of interfaces, including (but not limited
to) event-based and query-based interfaces, are also capable of
providing information conforming to the XML Information Set."
	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-infoset-20011024/