Re: WSDL 1.1 for XKMS note

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:19:07 -0400
To: Matt Long <mlong@mvsquared.net>
CC: Jose Kahan <jose.kahan@w3.org>, W3C XKMS WG <www-xkms@w3.org>

> Suppose a service requires the use of ds:KeyName for a specific
> operation to resolve the correct HMAC keying material for the HMAC
> computation.  Under such a scenario, the WSDL cannot communicate this to
> the client.  Therefore, this hypothetical service has a concrete policy
> that needs to be understood by a client.

Yup, I get it.

Yup, you can't do that right now.

Some folks would argue WSDL 2.0 'features' let you express this kind of
stuff.  Some folks would argue that WS-Policy (et al) attached to the
WSDL let you express this kind of stuff.

I think it's way too early and that yes, out-of-band knowledge about
what the serviceURL means is all we have right now.  I'm willing to add
a paragraph that says this, if you think it worthwhile.

	/R$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com