RE: XKMS about done...and what (if anything) next?

This is good news.

I think that there are important things to be done with XKMS, but we
probably need to focus on those rather than working on the XKMS core. We now
have a mechanism for key management and distribution that can plug into any
PKI there is. What we now need to pay attention to is making use of that
mechanism in applications.

The most urgent problem is email security. The phishing gangs are running
riot and we need to get some basic authentication infrastructure in place.
In the short term the approach is going to be to use the DNS for lightweight
key distribution as in Domain Keys. I think this is a good starting point
(Domain keys is after all a key centric PKI), but it would be a shame if it
was also the ending point.

What I would like to see is domain keys becoming the first step on a
deployment ladder that takes us to a fully secure email infrastructure.

Step 1 Domain based authentication.
	Simple authentication of email to a domain name, so mail from
microsoft.com can be verified as really coming from microsoft.com. This
scheme would support multiple keys per domain but would not define a key
registration system.

Step 2 Per user keying using XKMS
	Support for the whole key lifecycle through XKMS. Allow end users to
register their own signature keys.

Step 3 Opportunistic encryption support
	Add in support for encryption using a choice of either S/MIME or PGP
as the message encapsulation format. The encryption key would be provided
either through the DNS or through XKMS. Eventually we would need to support
DRM type encryption formats that provide for more comprehensive control.

Step 4 Intelligent deduction of security requirements.
	Make it possible for either an email application or an edge server
to deduce the necessary level of security for a particular communication
using authenticated assertions (e.g. using SAML).

Throughout the security protocol would support both the edge and the end
implementation models. So it would be possible to enforce an enterprise
security policy through an edge server.