Re: Determinig Server o Client use in XKMS

Hi Stephen -

>You mean if KeyUsage == Encryption then its a server-cert and
>if KeyUsage == Signature its a client cert.

Yes, that's what I meant.

>That's true I guess and satisfies 9x% of TLS use cases, but it does leave
the
>TLS D-H corner cases (though they're probably not that
>important).

For ephemeral DH TLS cipher suites the client would be either a DSA or RSA
cert so the xkms:KeyUsage==Signature approach would still seem to work.

As for client generated static DH keys; isn't it possible to determine that
the X.509 keyAgreement bit should be set in the resulting certificate simply
by the presence of DH ds:KeyValue? (xenc:DHKeyValue could probably be used
for this.)

However, registration of a service generated static DH keypair appears not
to be possible through a "common" URL as there is no algorithm selection
mechanism in the XKMS protocol. You would also have to define suitable
markup for the xkms:PrivateKey in order to be able to return the DH private
key parameters.  A dedicated URL seems to be the only option here.

Regards,
Tommy