  • From: C. M. Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@acm.org>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:17:26 -0700
  • Subject: request for review: XML Schema Second Edition PER
  • To: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org>, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>, Jose Kahan <jose.kahan@w3.org>, Jim Larson <jim@larson-tech.com>, Scott McGlashan <scott.mcglashan@hp.com>, Matt May <mcmay@w3.org>, Shivaram Mysore <Shivaram.Mysore@Sun.COM>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Dear colleagues:

The addressees of this note are chairs or staff contacts of W3C
Working Groups linked to the XML Schema Working Group by references in
your charter or in ours, or which may have for other reasons a special
interest in XML Schema.

This is to call your attention to the fact that XML Schema has just
published a Second Edition of XML Schema 1.0 as a Proposed Edited
Recommendation, and to ask you to review the PER and confirm that none
of the corrections included in the the Second Edition cause
unacceptable problems for your Working Groups.

XML Schema Second Edition is available at

 http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-0-20040318/
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-1-20040318/
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-2-20040318/

There are also versions marked up with the differences between 2E and
the first edition:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-0-20040318/primer-with-errata.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-1-20040318/structures-with-errata.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-2-20040318/datatypes-with-errata.html

Finally, of course, all the changes can be examined in a concentrated
way by examining the errata document for XML Schema First Edition:

 http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xmlschema-errata

Some of you will recall that we requested review of errata and a draft
of 2E in February 2003; those of you who reviewed the errata then can
concentrate, if you wish, on the errata added since then.  The
high-water mark when we sent our previous request for review was
EO-29, E1-43 and E2-48.  If you review the errata with higher numbers,
you will catch all the corrections we have made since then.  There are
28 of these:

 E0-30, E1-44 -- E1-54, E2-49 -- E2-64

Of these, only 11 (namely E1-47, E1-51 to E1-54, E2-50, E2-54 to
E2-57, and E2-60) are classed as corrections to errors; the rest are
editorial changes or clarifications.

Please send comments on this Proposed Edited Recommendation to
www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org, including 2E PER in the subject line,
no later than 16 April 2004.  As I believe is usual in the publication
of corrections, the XML Schema Working Group plans to take silence on
your part as implying consent to the corrections in 2E.

Thank you.

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
 Chair, W3C XML Schema Working Group