RE: versioning...

I was just writing a post on this exact topic. Actually, SAML is still using
Major and Minor version numbers.

The argument goes:

Using URIs as version identifiers does not provide sufficient information to
an application. In particular there is no ordering defined on URIs.

So it is not possible to use the URI alone to obtain the information one
traditionally requires from a version number scheme, i.e.

Major version of request is higher than that supported
	Indicates a protocol incompatibility

Minor version of request is higher than that supported
	Indicates that the request is supported but a software update might
be advisable.

etc. etc.

I do not think that we get enough out of the URI alone so yes, I think we
should keep the major/minor version tags.

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.
pbaker@verisign.com