Re: requirements - 4-corner wording

Since we're after "xkms MUST NOT preclude..." type language, I don't
think its crucial that we develop an exactly right definition of
4-corner models, so I'd be ok with Frederick's suggested wording.

The only addition I'd suggest is to note that this stuff mostly
applies at run-time and not at registration-time (i.e. its locates
and validates that need to be proxied/whatever). This could take
the form of a statement that 4-cornered registration is NOT
REQUIRED I guess.

Regards,
Stephen.

> Daniel Ash wrote:
>
> The only distinguishing factor of the 4-corner is the "peerwise trust relationship", which is
> certainly out-of-scope for XKMS... which leaves us with an environment that supports referrals
> (even less Identrus-y).  Without referrals it will be more difficult to separate complicated trust
> models (cross-certification, bridges.. etc) from the trust relationship between client and
> service.  This separation, I think, is tantamount in shielding end entities from more complexity
> than necessary.
>
> Other trust infrastructures could benefit, as much as Identrus could, from a referral mechanism
> (I'm not quite sure what the difference is between referrals and server chaining).  Does anyone
> else agree that a referrals (or server chaining) requirement should replace the 4-corner
> requirement?
>
> -dan

Stephen Farrell
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com