	From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie>
	To: Yassir Elley - Sun Microsystems <Yassir.Elley@sun.com>
	CC: www-xkms@w3.org
	Subject: Re: Question about Locate Service

	Yassir,

	I can see two functions that locate can perform. The one you mention:

	> I could understand if the client asked the Locate service to return an
	> X509 certificate or chain of certificates, and then the client did the
	> validation himself. Is that the intended usage of the Locate service?

	one variant of which is called DPD in the IETF PKIX context and secondly
	I can also imagine a client using a locate on a name, getting a (set of)
	KeyInfo elements, picking one, and then doing a validate (say prior to
	encryption). I'm not sure if others are considering this latter case,
	but I think it might be useful.

	Stephen.

	Stephen Farrell
	Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
	39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
	Dublin 8.                mailto:stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie
	Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com