Re: FW: changelog #A1

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" wrote:

> It is also the model that meets the original goal of shielding
> the client from the horrors of PKI. The model I have been
> promoting is the Client asks the validate service for a key
> and the validate service then grovels through whatever databases,
> DNS, directories, Locate services etc it needs to get the
> answer.
>
> If you have a client that is already PKI litterate then the
> locate service makes a lot of sense since chain building
> is hard while chain validation is relatively straightforward.
> That way you still get your traditional end to end security.
>
> The mixed model of do a locate first then throw the data at
> a validate service makes much less sense to me. I know people
> think it is a winner but I don't see that myself. Why have the
> client be a blind relay when the service can do the job for it?

I completely agree with the above (I apologize if it was not clear in my
original question).
I did not question the need for a separate Locate service to support the
use case for Locate + local validation.
I was questioning the "Locate followed by Validate" scenario where a single
Validate request could be used instead.

--
Slava Galperin                               mailto:slava.galperin@sun.com

For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge
increaseth sorrow.

                                                              (Ecclesiastes
1:18)