Re: Issue 64 confirmation

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 11:47 am, Just.Mike@tbs-sct.gc.ca wrote:
> Since you originally raised the issue, I wanted to confirm with you.  Are
> you satisfied with proposed resolutions to Issue 64 [1] cited in the
> resolution column?  Is so, I will close this issue.

No, my question concerned the use of the concept of a "session" and its
closing. Since HTTP is sessionless, does that mean every request over HTTP
is asynchronous? (I presume not). If not, what distinguishes a synchronous
v. asynchronous request over HTTP?

I don't know if it's matter of time... I'm coming to believe that there is a
sense of an XKMS session that is open until one receives a ResultCode of
'Final' type. If that's the case, perhaps the definitions could be tweaked
to:

[[[
*       In synchronous processing the service responds to a request such
that it has satisfied its obligation and will issue no more responses with
respect to that request: a "Final" response code (see 2.8.9.1 Result Codes)
is returned.

[jmr: It would be nice to make sure Final is defined a id/named for
hypertext]

*       In asynchronous processing the service will not complete the request
immediately and notifies that the request is not yet satisfied and
subsequent responses will be forthcoming: a "NonFinal" response code is
returned in intermediate responses.
]]]