Re: SOAP headers for xmldsig and xenc

On Wednesday 03 April 2002 15:11, David Orchard wrote:
> I'm interested.
> Are there any issues around using or re-using the 2 specs listed, such as
> IP?

For any future work, I consider anything on this xenc-xmlp task force list
to under the terms of the xenc or xmlp charters.

With respect to existing copyright, on the soap-sec note MS's declaration
is very clear [1] and there would be no room for concern on that note.
IBM's declaration isn't clear but I wouldn't expect a problem. On Hiroshi's
email [2], again, I wouldn't expect a problem -- and I'm sort of hoping
someone in Tokyo will volunteer. <smile/> So from the point of view of the
copyright, I don't see any major hurdle from starting to work ASAP. It'd be
best that in the draft we say that this work is being done in accordance
with [3].

With respect to existing patents, that's more difficult. However, as I said
at first, I expect work on this list to be compatible with the xenc/xmlp
charters and the document  should say, "the intended audience of this
document is as a contribution to the Web Services and/or XML Encryption
activities." If/when a document was considered as a formal deliverable of
some chartered activity, that'd be the time we make sure we have the
formalities accounted for.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2001/01/
Microsoft hereby grants to the W3C a perpetual, nonexclusive,
non-sublicensable, non assignable, royalty-free, world-wide right and
license under any Microsoft copyrights in this contribution to copy,
publish and distribute the contribution, as well as a right and license of
the same scope to any derivative works prepared by the W3C and based on, or
incorporating all or part of the contribution.
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xenc-xmlp-tf/2001Dec/0001.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Contributor.html#Copyright