Re: Load balancing and Web Services

Hi Sabrina,

we have done something like what you want with WS-Addressing although in
different context: in our case we wanted to have way for web services to
talk to internal services that are not directly accessible (possibly
load balanced) and on the other hand we wanted clients that are not web
services (such as applet) to become web service peers.

for synchronous SOAP request-response this was achieved by forwarding
HTTP connections and for asynchronous case we are doing dynamic
rewriting of WS-Addressing WSA:destination and replyTo headers in
WS-Dispatcher (SOAP intermediary node).

we were also thinking that intermediary (our ws-dispatcher) not only can
do load-balancing but can provide also rudimentary fault-tolerance when
it acts as forwarding agent - when destination service is not available
dispatcher holds messages until service is available again (possibly
when it migrated to new location).

for more details please see presentation:
http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/dispatcher/ws_dispatcher_overview.pdf
and general overview of goals:
http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/dispatcher/

if you are interested we can make ws-dispatcher code available to you
(it is open source and we were thinking making it available like in
sf.net but we do not have enough manpower to do it :))

HTH,

alek