RE: SOAP performance

Yes, compression is generally not good for either latency or CPU
utilization, it is only there to help the network utilization / throughput.
However, that is usually not the dominant factor, at least on LANs. The
authors of this paper recognize this the conclusions. [aside: This is why
various types of binary XML schemes have been interesting (a point missed by
their opponents on this list and others) -- they actually reduce latency &
CPU requirements on client and/or server.]

Our experience is that with custom DataPower network gear, we can get
XML/SOAP messaging to deliver real-time performance -- including financial
services usecases outlined in this paper. Indeed, for some of our customers,
network bandwidth can again become the limitation, and then compression or
some binary encoding becomes interesting.

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov, Chairman & CTO  : eugene@datapower.com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.        : Web Services security
\\ http://www.datapower.com          : XML-aware networks