Re: Preconditions /effects vs Preconditions/Postconditions

Jos de Bruijn wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Here is a better quote from the WSMF document about what a
> post-condition is in terms of Web Services:
>
> Post-conditions describe what a web service returns in response to its
> input.
>
> A post-condition provides a declarative description of the relation that
> must hold between the input and the output of the service.
> A limitation of DAML-S in my opinion is the limited of the effect. Since
> DL does not include variables, it is currently not possible to formulate
> the post-condition of the service in the DAML-S "effect".

Jos -

I certainly agree that there is an issue about the expressiveness of DL,
and whether it is adequate for capturing preconditions and effects.

However, note that the current DAML-S/OWL-S release includes an appendix
giving some recommendations about using DRS (Declarations in RDF made
Simple), which does include variables, to express preconditions and
effects.  Also, DAML/OWL researchers are progressing towards a more
expressive "rules language" (more expressive than DL, that is), which we
also expect to be used in conjunction with OWL-S.

Regards,
David