RE: Preconditions /effects vs Preconditions/Postconditions

-----Original Message-----
From: Monika Solanki [mailto:monika@dmu.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 6:18 PM
To: Sheshagiri, Mithun
Cc: 'Sheila McIlraith'; www-ws@w3.org
Subject: Re: Preconditions /effects vs Preconditions/Postconditions

Sheshagiri, Mithun wrote:

I might be be wrong but I think Monika and Sheila are talking about two

different conditions.

Monika is talking about Effect of execution being a condition and this she

terms as postcondition.

:-) .. Incidentally, by "Postcondition" , I mean precisely, the conditions
under which the "effect" is produced and which is alos a subclass of
ceCondition (which is also what Sheila is referring to), and not "the effect
of execution being a condition".
[Sheshagiri, Mithun]

I was under the impression that postcondition would be something that holds
after the service is executed.

AtomicProces: BuyBook
input: bookName
precondition: validUser
effect: points to disjointUnionOf(BookShippedEffect,
BookWillBeShippedEffect)
(BookShippedEffect, BookWillBeShippedEffect ) subClassOf ConditionalEffect
BookShippedEffect
         +------ceEffect BookShipped
         +------ceCondition BookImmAvail
BookWillBeShippedEffect
         +-------ceEffect BookWillBeShipped
         +-------ceCondition ¬BookImmAvail

BookImmAvail determines the effect so is it correct to call it a
postcondition?

On the other hand,
The effect of executing an AtomicProcess might be the assertion of a
condition. I thought this would be a postcondition

AtomicProcess: ValidateCC
input: CCname, CCnum, CCexpiry
effect: points disjointUnionOf(ValidEffect, InValidEffect)
(ValidEffect, InValidEffect) subClassOf ConditionalEffect

ValidEffect
         +------ceEffect Valid
         +------ceCondition CreditApproved

InValidEffect
         +-------ceEffect InValid
         +-------ceCondition ¬CreditApproved
ValidP sameValues Valid

Now  Valid and ValidP could be subClassOf process.owl#Condition and Valid is
this case, IMHO,  is a postcondition. And since ceEffect can point to
owl:Thing, this is permitted.

phew! I need a program that generates names for my classes and properties.

--Monika

(ceEffect points to a concept which is a subclassof

process:#Condition. And Sheila is talking about the condition being pointed

by ceCondition which decides the effect.

mithun