Re: sameValues in CompositeProcess

Jan,
I think you get the gold star for noticing this. The issue of repeated
processes is where our over-simplified approach to sameValues has
difficulty. I have been on the lookout for real-world examples where this
problem must be solved, and hadn't found any compelling ones. What is
needed ultimately is a full path mechanism. However, in your case, I think
or  specialize the two translation steps is appropriate. I would argue (and
have elsewhere) that in fact translation must be specialized for request
vs. responses as the information required to do the translation most likely
resides in different agents. So for now I would adopt a TranslateQuery and
TranslateResponse approach. But this doesn't solve the problem more generally.

- Mark

At 02:24 AM 6/2/2003 +0200, Jan Ortmann wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>My question is about the sameValues construct for composing processes. I
>would
>like to know if it is possible to use the same process twice in a sequence
>but with different sameValue-mappings.
>Lets assume we have a service that does some text-search on webpages.  Now we
>might want to use this service with other languages as well. So what we do is
>to translate our query, get a result, and than translate the result:
>Translate -> Query -> Translate.
>Now the ouput of the first Translate process is the input of the Query
>process
>whereas the output of the second Translate process is the output of the
>entire composite process.
>Is there a way to write this as one sequence or do I have to split this
>sequence into two CompositeProcesses, e.g. (Translate->Query)->Translate
>or two use the SimpleProcess-construct to encapsulate and rename one of the
>Translate processes?
>
>Regards,
>
>Jan Ortmann,
>
>University of Hamburg,
>Germany

* Dr. Mark H. Burstein <burstein@bbn.com>
* Director, Human Centered Systems Group
* BBN Technologies
* 10 Moulton Street
* Cambridge, MA 02138
*