W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws@w3.org > July 2003

question about OWL-S and XML Schema version

From: David Martin <martin@ai.sri.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:10:42 -0700
Message-ID: <3F1489F2.9080006@ai.sri.com>
To: Grit Denker <Grit.Denker@sri.com>
CC: www-ws@w3.org

[Note: the original message wasn't posted on www-ws.]

Grit Denker wrote:

> Hi All,
>we tried to load the latest version of Process.daml into our
>DAML+OIL-plugin for Protege and ran into
><daml:DatatypeProperty rdf:ID="invocable">
>  <rdfs:comment>Invocable is a flag that tells whether the
>bottoms out in atomic processes. (If so, it is
>  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#CompositeProcess" />
>  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean" />
>The referenced range does not (yet) seem to be fully defined (the web
>page hardly contains any information yet).
>Is this a bug or a reference to upcoming XMLSchema?
>Shouldn't the range resource be
>That would at least have substantial definitions.
>Could somebody please clarify this for me? We would like to know
>whether we need to extend our plugin.
Hi Grit -

With the latest release (0.9) of DAML-S/OWL-S, we changed the XMLSchema 
namespace to


as you have noticed.

This was done at the suggestion of a knowledgable user who said it would 
make life much easier for him, and also because it seemed obvious that 
we should employ the most recent completed release.

I'm not really an expert on XML Schema, but I believe this namespace 
does represent the most recent completed release.  If that's not 
correct, someone please respond with the correct info.

I don't know why the document at http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema_ _
is so impoverished.  But it is my impression that that's the correct 
namespace to use.  Take a look at the document here:
for better documentation of the datatypes.  Note that this document 
references the above namespace.

Finally, I must admit I never considered whether this change would 
affect the work on the plugin.  The only resulting change we made in 
DAML-S/OWL-S files was this:
   changing uriReference to anyURI.

Received on Tuesday, 15 July 2003 19:11:06 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 23:05:11 UTC