question about OWL-S and XML Schema version

[Note: the original message wasn't posted on www-ws.]

Grit Denker wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>we tried to load the latest version of Process.daml into our
>DAML+OIL-plugin for Protege and ran into
>
><daml:DatatypeProperty rdf:ID="invocable">
>  <rdfs:comment>Invocable is a flag that tells whether the
>CompositeProcess
>bottoms out in atomic processes. (If so, it is
>"invocable".)</rdfs:comment>
>  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#CompositeProcess" />
>  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean" />
></daml:DatatypeProperty>
>
>The referenced range does not (yet) seem to be fully defined (the web
>page hardly contains any information yet).
>Is this a bug or a reference to upcoming XMLSchema?
>Shouldn't the range resource be
>http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#boolean?
>That would at least have substantial definitions.
>
>Could somebody please clarify this for me? We would like to know
>whether we need to extend our plugin.

Hi Grit -

With the latest release (0.9) of DAML-S/OWL-S, we changed the XMLSchema
namespace to

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema

as you have noticed.

This was done at the suggestion of a knowledgable user who said it would
make life much easier for him, and also because it seemed obvious that
we should employ the most recent completed release.

I'm not really an expert on XML Schema, but I believe this namespace
does represent the most recent completed release.  If that's not
correct, someone please respond with the correct info.

I don't know why the document at http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema_ _
is so impoverished.  But it is my impression that that's the correct
namespace to use.  Take a look at the document here:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/datatypes.html
for better documentation of the datatypes.  Note that this document
references the above namespace.

Finally, I must admit I never considered whether this change would
affect the work on the plugin.  The only resulting change we made in
DAML-S/OWL-S files was this:
   changing uriReference to anyURI.

Regards,
David