RE: Semantics of Preconditions and Effects

-----Original Message-----
From: Monika Solanki [mailto:monika@dmu.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 5:59 PM
To: Sheshagiri, Mithun
Cc: daml-process@bbn.com; www-ws; 'steve.battle@hp.com'
Subject: Re: Semantics of Preconditions and Effects

Sheshagiri, Mithun wrote:

Since ceEffect points to owl:Thing, there is nothing that prevents you from
representing Knows(ISBN) as an effect. Also, it is useful to have a means by
which you can generate an effect which is also a precondition for some other
service.

This is precisely what I was aiming at.

I also had some doubts about the semantics of conditional O/Es.

Loan Service:
   1. output = "loan approved", if creditRating = good
   2. output = "loan denied", if creditRating = poor

If this were the advertised service and after execution of the service using
WSDL, I get my output as "loan denied". It is important to know the value of
CreditRating, since it could be used to determine the cause of  the
output:"loan denied" and a contingency plan can be worked out. There are 2
ways of finding the value of creditRating: make it part of the output
message or deduce it from the output.
At per current spec, the value of creditRating is not part of the WSDL
grounding (output message). Is it correct to deduce that my creditRating is
"poor" from the output "loan denied"? If this deduction is correct, then the
semantics is IFF.

I don't think so it is correct to deduce anything
(a) if it is not specifiied explicitly in the output
(b) if it is not specified anywhere in the service ontology specification

As Sheila mentioned in one of the other emails that it may be possible that
a provider may not want to divulge the details abt loan denial. In such a
scenario, no deductions can be made.
[Sheshagiri, Mithun]
In this particular case, since the service provider did describe condition
creditRating as part of the service ontology, he/she does want the user to
know the the reason for loan denial/loan approval.

Alternatively if the semantics is only an implication,

I think it should be, atleast logically it makes sense.

is the following correct:
As part of the service description I make the following additional
statements:
3. output of Loan Service is disjointUnionOf  ("loan approved" and "loan
denied")

I think we do need to specify something like this

4. "loan approved" owl:complementOf "loan denied"
5. So when I get the output "loan denied" can I say something like
output(loan denied) is equivalent to ¬output(loan approved)
6. From 1. (and assuming ¬good=poor), I have creditRating=poor

This can be discussed further as Bijan has suggested in one of the other
emails

And if value of creditRating cannot be found by any means (explicit,
deduction or some other service), then is there a need for using
creditRating in describing th service? This problem could be solved by
sending the value of creditRating as part of the output.

Since nothing is mandatory in the specification currently, I guess it all
depends on the service provider, i.e. if he wants to send it as part of the
output
[Sheshagiri, Mithun]
I guess what I am trying to say is that if a publisher of the service wants
to convey something than he/she should have the means to do so. If the Loan
Service provider adhered to current specs, the value of the condition cannot
be conveyed. Please correct me if I am wrong

mithun

http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~mits1 <http://www.cs.umbc.edu/%7Emits1>

Any comments from other members appreciated

Cheers,

Monika