FW: questions about applying DAML-S

-----Original Message-----
From: Kogut, Paul A
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 3:25 PM
To: 'paolucci+@cs.cmu.edu'; www-ws-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: questions about applying DAML-S

Massimo,

I would think that a much more scalable approach to matchmaking
would be to look up a service by topic and then choose a specific
service based on inputs, outputs, preconditions and effects.
For example, when you are buying a ski helmet on the web you would
first look for ski equipment, choose a vendor, then find out
how to specify your size. You wouldn't search for a service
whose input is size first. Maybe I am missing something.

I would also think that instances of inputs, outputs, preconditions and
effects
in the DAML-S profile would reference classes and properties in upper
ontologies
or domain specific ontologies. For example, if you were buying a
PC the processor speed input would be a property of computer with
a value restricted to MHz. Maybe this is what you are doing with UDDI.

Thanks,
Paul