From: Carl Sjogreen <CarlS@crossgain.com>
To: Naresh Agarwal <nagarwal@in.firstrain.com>; www-ws@w3.org
<www-ws@w3.org>
Sent: Sat Mar 09 11:19:46 2002
Subject: RE: SOAP bindings with "Asynchronous" protocols

> 1) Does the "Aynchrony"  make sense in "RPC" (encoded) style
> of SOAP or
> it would be only useful for "messaging" (literal) style of  SOAP?
>
> 2) Are RPC *synchronous* per se, or does it make sense to have RPC
> *asynchronous*?

Whether a message is sent synchronously or asynchronously is really
different from the encoding style.  BEA Weblogic Workshop has a complete
framework for asynchronous messaging (and bi-directional messaging using a
callback paradigm) that can operate over both SOAP-RPC and document-literal
encoding styles and over HTTP or JMS.

With that said, in talking to customers most people I have spoken with view
the SOAP-RPC encoding style and synchronous request/response messages going
hand in hand.  This is the view of web services as the next generation of
RMI/DCOM/CORBA.

Others who view web services as a platform for building a service oriented
architecture are much more concerned with rich documents, B2B message
standards and asynchrony.  Asynchrony is key for modeling overall business
processes, and interacting with resources in the enterprise that are
inherently asynchronous (people, legacy systems, etc.).

> 3) What exactly do we want to achieve by using SMTP, JMS,
> BEEP etc., as
> transport mechanism for SOAP?

As I said above, I think its partly about accommodating integration with
different kinds of resources, partly just about scalability.  There is also
interest in using protocols like JMS for reliable messaging, and it just
happens to be an asynch protocol.

	-Carl

--
Carl Sjogreen