RE: Apache or Sun ?

MessageI'm not sure that this is the right venue to ask this question. I
always view the W3C lists as completely vendor neutral, so I'm hesitant to
answer as I might in a different forum. You might try the SOAP discussion
list (http://discuss.develop.com/soap.html).

But let's look at the two choices purely objectively:

Apache Axis:
- currently in beta 2. Final should be available in June
- beta 2 supports the APIs defined in the JAX-RPC v0.8 specification
  See Axis beta1-beta2 changes: http://xml.apache.org/axis/beta1-beta2.html
- open source (Apache license)

Sun JWSDK (contains two SOAP implementations):
JAX-RPC:
- currently in EA2. Final should be available in June.
- EA2 supports the APIs defined in the JAX-RPC v0.7 specification.
  See JAX-RPC release notes:
http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/ea2/jaxrpc/ReleaseNotes.html
- reference implementation. Free for personal/commercial use, requires
redistribution license.
JAXM:
- currently in EA2. Final should be available in June.
- EA2 supports the APIs defined in the JAXM v1.0 specification.
  JAXM release notes:
http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/ea2/jaxm/ReleaseNotes.html
- reference implementation. Free for personal/commercial use, requires
redistribution license.

Hmmm. That doesn't help too much, unless the licensing issue makes a
difference to you.

I suggest you try them and determine which one you like best. But I wouldn't
stop with just these two providers. There are lots of other excellent SOAP
implementations to choose from, many of which are free for development, some
of which are free for deployment, some of which offer more tools.

Things to consider:
- tools:
  - type mapping: how much is done automatically
  - deployment tools
  - SOAP tracing tools
  - monitoring/management tools
- interoperability