From: "Mark Potts" <mark.potts@talkingblocks.com>
To: "'Simon Waterhouse'" <simon.waterhouse@eu.citrix.com>, <www-ws@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:21:07 -0800
Subject: RE: Versioning Web Services

Simon

There are no direct initiatives at the W3C I am aware of, however the work
underway at IBM in terms of the WSEL will potentially cover this as well as
the QoS initiatives underway in other organisations. The Talking Blocks
Management Platform, the company I work for, actually manages versioning
such that organisation consuming or providing web services can independently
upgrade  ( rolling upgrades, side by side versions and routing ) the
services you provide or consume without perturbing the consumers. This
requires meta data about the service (the contract ) and relationships
between them  - dependency, replacement ( backward compatibility ),
equivalency, and conflicts ( all layered on the existing standards - we are
pushing to standardise these efforts ). I can also share with you,
informally, some research gartner recently published about the need to cope
with variability  - that direct correlates to versioning dependencies and
routing.

Let me know if you want to discuss in more detail.

Regards,
Mark Potts - Chief Technology Officer
Talking Blocks

(    Office : +1 415 255 7424