Re: SOAP services as database query interfaces / SOAP design patterns?

Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org> writes:

>> Are we safe?
>
> I feel uncomfortable with already trying to work around some spec
> wording for a technology that hasn't made it to Recommendation yet.

I don't think we're trying to work around it. I was in fact asking if
my understanding of the spec, which, as of 26 June 2002, seemed to not
forbid the use of xml-stylesheet PIs, was correct.

However it seems that the WG has changed its mind again and the editor's
version of the spec now says:

"SOAP messages sent by initial SOAP senders MUST NOT contain
processing instruction information items. SOAP intermediaries MUST NOT
insert processing instruction information items in SOAP messages they
relay."

which seems to definitely rule out stylesheet PIs

> The last call period for SOAP 1.2 is over, but if a good case is made
> that there may be interoperability issues due to the interpretation of
> a part of the spec, it is worth raising the issue IMO.

I'm sure the WG has good reasons to forbids PIs, but I haven't
followed the discussions so I'm not aware of them. Nevertheless I
don't think that the stylesheet PI use case is enough to allow them
back. I don't think that the philosophy of SOAP is that a message be
displayed to the user in some form (except for debugging purposes,
perhaps).

Max.