RE: Web Services - Non-repudiation

Srinivas,

As far as non-repudiation goes, the receiver should check
the "validity" field (or "expiry" as you chose to call it) of
the signer's certificate against real time, because timestamps
can be faked, say by the signer of an expired/revoked cert.

I think of interest to you as an implementer/developer is that
using timestamps for the purpose of proving DS ownership
(e.g. the signer's private key was not stolen at the time the
document was signed) requires the support of a massive infrastructure.
Besides, there is always a window between the time when a private
key is compromised and the time when the associated certificate
is revoked, which an attacker can slip through.

You may find the challenge-response approach a far more viable
alternative to timestamping for validating whether the message
signer/sender is indeed the rightful owner of the cert
(which contains or leads you to the public key of the signer).
Of course, you still have to check the cert against the
CRL (i.e. Certificate Revocation List) and the cert's
validity against real time.

Note that things get complicated when an XML message contains
multiple elements signed by multiple cert holders.  That is,
the challenge-response approach doesn't scale well for
multi-signer messages.

Good luck,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service