From: David Martin [mailto:martin@AI.SRI.COM]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 1:07 PM
To: Andrew Layman
Cc: Anne Thomas Manes; Timothy N. Jones; thomi@di.uoa.gr; www-ws@w3.org
Subject: Re: potential users of web services

Andrew -

Andrew Layman wrote:

> Whether a Web service is invoked using a programmatic API is
immaterial
> to its being a Web service.

Speaking for myself only, I don't think there's any disagreement about
this.  I responded positively to the phrase "programmatic API" not
because I
was thinking of any specific RPC mechanism, but because I took that
phrase
to mean that the service is set up so that software components
(programs)
can interact with it.  The service can be invoked (in some appropriately
loose sense of that word) by a program, and its results can be
used/processed/handled by a program.  If we want to go further than
that,
and say that the interaction is in terms of language-neutral and
platform-neutral messages, that's consistent with what I have in mind.

Regards,

David Martin

> It is much more important that the messages
> effecting the invocation have a definite, language-neutral and
> platform-neutral format.  That is, Web services are defined in terms
of
> their protocols, not the APIs used for invocation, which may vary from
> platform to platform or language to language.

SOAP