RE: operation safety as semantic annotation?

Jack,

I disagree that safety is a semantic annotation.

Theorem: Safety tells you nothing about the semantics of the operation.

Proof: Consider the same service deployed at two endpoints, say just
giving you stock quotes:

Service 1 is safe but returns quotes over HTTP so someone could spy on you
and see what quotes you are interested in.
Service 2 is unsafe since you need an account and you get charged $1 per
request, but the quotes are returned over HTTPS.

Same "semantics" for both but not the same safety. QED

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
02/01/2007 10:10 AM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
Jonathan Marsh <jonathan@wso2.com>, "'WS-Description WG'"
<www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Subject
RE: operation safety as semantic annotation?

Dear Arthur,

previously, when the expressing of operation safety was discussed, we
didn't have SAWSDL so we couldn't consider using it. I'm asking that we
should.

I wonder if we might want to ask the TAG's opinion on this, as they
requested that we add this feature, and we still have an open issue
CR021 for the purpose of tracking the development of the safety
assertion feature for them. I could ask them if we feel it could help.

I just think that in the long term, putting the safety assertion into
WSDL using a SAWSDL model reference is the right thing - it would put
the assertion where it belongs and thus also help people understand the
role of SAWSDL.

But I won't object to closing CR147 with no action if the groups
considers and rejects it.

Jacek

http://www.w3.org/2006/01/wsdl-extensions#SafeInterac