From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Jonathan Marsh
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:18 PM
To: paul.downey@bt.com; ryman@ca.ibm.com
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: RE: Generic proposal for enganging MTOM in WSDL 2.0

To capture Asir's idea expressed at the end of the last telcon, here's
an
updated proposal to allow Canon to indicate MTOM engagement using
standard
(or pre-standard) technologies.

Original Proposal (from Paul):

WSDL 2.0 provides an extension attribute which MAY be used to indicate a
WS-Policy attachment is "vanilla", only contains a single set of
assertions
and does not contain any compositors, e.g.:

  <Policy wsdli:simpleAssertions="true">
    <wsoma:OptimizedMimeSerialization />
    <wsa:UsingAddressing />
  </Policy>

A non-Policy aware processor may process the wrapped assertions as just
another hop in their XPaths, and yet continue to interoperate with
processors which support the whole of WS-Policy.

Updated Proposal (based on Asir's idea):

An implementation may support a subset of Policy that consists of the
policy
wrapper appearing as a child of <wsdl:binding> or <wsdl:endpoint>
elements,
and containing only the OptimizedMimeSerialization assertion [1] (no
compositors allowed), or indeed any list of assertions supported by the
implementation.  The Policy element can be marked as
wsdl:required="true".

  <Policy>
    <wsoma:OptimizedMimeSerialization />
  </Policy>

Advantages:
1) No new syntax needed.
2) No changes to specs at all!
3) Profile can be processed by a fully conformant WS-Policy processor.
4) Obviates need to describe the interaction of wsdli:simpleAssertions
and
wsdl:required.
5) Can be defined for multiple versions of Policy.
6) Supports any assertions supported by the implementation (just like
WS-Policy.)  This includes a possible future version of an MTOM
assertion.
7) Isn't open to unintended side-effects (what evil uses could
wsdli:simpleAssertions be put to?)

Disadvantages;
1) Doesn't provide any standards status to such a profile.
2) Doesn't provide any machine-readable indication that the profile is
in
use.

[1]
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/policy/optimizedmimeserialization/