RE: LC124

David,

The point about SOAP encoding is that WSDL 1.1 used XML Schema to describe
messages that were SOAP encoded, but of course the messages didn't in
general validate against that schema. Rather, WSDL 1.1 was being creative
in its use of XSD by saying that it was just the abstract definition of
the message.

Now we are being asked to entertain a similar creative use of XSD in that
it is initial version of a family of schema versions and the messages
validate against any member of the family rather than the initial one the
appears in the WSDL 2.0 document.

In neither case are we to interpret the schema literally.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
07/07/2005 09:30 AM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: LC124

SOAP encoding was created because Schema didn't exist and the original
goal was to do "object access" so types including graphs were needed.  I
don't understand the point..

Can you say what is insufficient about the latest round of definitions for
"ignoreUnknowns"?  They haven't pointed to conference papers for their
definitions.

Cheers,
Dave