RE: LC124

Paul,

1) I am very much in favour of the intention behind this proposal since
this is a real customer problem. But we do need to look at the details.

2) Let me explain more. I am concerned that there is no normative
description of what "ignoreUnknowns" means. I understand that there are
algortihms and data binding implementations that exhibit this behavior,
but they are proprietary. What assurance do we have that they will
interoperate? For example, vendor A may be very lenient and accept some
unknown content, while vendor B may reject it interpretting it as a schema
violation. Pointing to implementations and conference papers is not good
enough. That is the point of the SOAP encoding example. We owe it to the
community to reference a normative spec that defines ignoreUnknowns. Is
there one? The latest proposal talks about ignoreUnknowns but doesn't
define it precisely.

3) You may be happy enough that old Web services don't break when they get
unknown content, but that is just one use case. Yes, we are encroaching
into the domain of semantics, but Web services are not an abstract
exercise. They exist to implement semantics. Web services are more than
just interface. Yes, WSDL should only describe interface. That should tell
you this is a bigger problem and that WSDL alone can't solve it. We need a
coordinated effort across all the aspects of Web services. I agree that
WSDL 2.0 should at least enable versioning. But the current proposal goes
too far by being part of the Core and by making this, IMHO non-normative,
definition the default. Can't we at least induce the Schema WG to create a
Note that applies to XSD 1.0?

4) As I said, I still don't see a normative definition of ignoreUnknowns
that would ensure interoperability.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

<paul.downey@bt.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
07/07/2005 07:24 AM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: LC124

Arthur,

thanks for taking the time and trouble to discuss this issue
and in trying to gain a company position within IBM.

I'll try and answer the discussion points raised:

1) Agreed, obviously! Enabling the description of Web
   services that evolve is likely to be our top reason to
   move towards using WSDL 2.0.

2) Agreed, in essence this is an XML Schema issue, hence our
   original efforts to engage the Schema WG in a joint Task Force
   for versioning. However, Web services has a strong and simple
   use case for evolution of messages and much of the current focus
   of work on versioning within XML Schema has been in gathering
   other use-cases targeted at XML Schema 1.1

   The cautionary tale regarding SOAP encoding is a good example,
   however that was a far more radical change than this proposal
   and predated the XML Schema Recommendation.
   ignoreUnkowns allows continued use of a current schema processor
   for validation, whilst embodying current best practice exhibited
   by the more flexible data binding implementations.

3) This is an interesting point, but one which does fall into the
   semantics of the additional content:

   If a processor requires the additional content, or that additional
   content changes the meaning of existing content, then it isn't
   a backwards compatible change, and should be published as a new
   message, operation, service, etc.

   The boolean flag enables publishers to add and accept additional
   content, or highlight that strict validation should be used to
   constrain the message contents. I'm not sure what more information
   would be useful, without exposing 'semantics', something
   we avoid in WSDL.

4) Please see the latest proposals for text:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Jun/0097.html

Paul