RE: Minutes, Web Services Description Working Group 23 September 2004 telcon

Jacek presented this argument at the telco, with no evident support from
the other attendees.  In fact Arthur argued convincingly (if I can
paraphrase correctly) for the model that the WSDL document provides the
"description" for _a_ Web service, and that description has many
components, rather than a WSDL document providing a set of component
"descriptions" which together comprise the Web service.

Anyway, I hope you feel better knowing we at least considered this
topic.  If not, perhaps you can unearth last night's bottle for some
solace :-).

On
> Behalf Of Sanjiva Weerawarana
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 2:11 AM
> To: Allen Brookes; www-ws-desc@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Minutes, Web Services Description Working Group 23
September
> 2004 telcon
>

> "Allen Brookes" <abrookes@roguewave.com> writes:
> > 16. Issue LC43: Rename <definitions> to <description> [.1]
> >
> > [.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC43
> > <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC43>
> >

> > [Marsh] Make LC42 editorial, hand it to editors for resolution.
> > [dbooth] me +1 to "description"
> > [Allen] Roberto: concern that name change will lead to reopening
other
> name
> > change issues.
> > [Allen] Resolved to rename "definitions" to "description".
> > [Allen] ACTION: Editors will implement change of "<definitions>" to
> > "<description>" everywhere.

> Shouldn't that be "descriptions"? A <description> element contains
> many descriptions after all.
>
> I'm personally not for changed it .. but I missed the call last nite
> (not sure what I drank to lose my mind so much).
>
> Just to give some historical perspective- when WSDL was first being
> created this word was debated too .. in fact I wanted WSDL to stand
for
> "WS Definition L" because of <definitions> .. but the decision was
> to call it "WS Description L" and to keep <definitions> because what's
> inside <definitions> is a set of message, portType etc. *definitions*
> which in turn *describe* various aspects of the Web service. Thus,
WSDL