Re: proposal: minor syntax improvement for soap fault bindings

Paul,

ext wrote:

<snipped/>

> so the subcodes still belong to the code and the order of
>the subcodes (if that's important) is preserved.

So, this is my point - it's the difference between "ordering", and
"belonging to" - in a flat list - (a, b, c), one does not know
implicitly that item b belongs to item a, and item c to item b. One only
knows that they may be followed in order from a to c. Of course they
could be followed from c to a too. And that's why you need some extra
definitional semantics to allow the processor of such a list to know how
they should interpret the ordering of the list. So, to my mind it is not
apparent at all that b is a "sub-code" of a, or c a "sub-code" of b.

If, however, you embed those sub-codes, one within the other, I think
that it is possible to better model that "belonging to" relationship. C
is an element belonging to b, and b is an element belonging to a in the
following:

<a>
  <b>
    <c/>
  </b>
</a>

> if this doesn't answer your concerns, maybe you could enumerate
>the 'implicit semantics enforced by schema' and i'll have a rethink?

See above. However, I guess there are two points:

1) Do we *want* the ability to model sub-codes as codes belonging to
codes (rather than just a list of status codes)? If so, I think
maintaining the tree of codes (roughly as in Sanjiva's original
proposal, and modelled above) is a good idea - the relationship is
displayed in the instance itself, and enforced by schema.
2) I don't see how having a tree of codes impacts your ability to send a
trancated instance that still has the capability to do what you want (it
would perhaps even be possible for the "value" attribute to still be a
list of Qnames, with semantics defined in the specification text)

- JohnK