Re: Processor conformance: fault on non-conformant input

Sanjiva,

As far as I know, you are the only one who was in favor of REQUIRING the
processor to fault if there is ANY part of the WSDL document that is
non-conformant, even if that part of the document is not needed (for
example, if it is in a different binding).  So if I've understood other
people's responses, it looks like others agree with the wording I proposed
for the bullet item in section 7.3., which was to change:
[[
A conformant processor MUST fault if presented with a
non-conformant WSDL 2.0 document.
]]
to:
[[
A conformant WSDL processor MUST fault if a portion of a WSDL
document is illegal according to this specification and the
WSDL processor attempts to process that portion.
]]

(Bear in mind that unless we say something to the contrary,  a conformant
processor MAY fault if an unneeded portion of a WSDL document is
illegal.  Unless we explicitly prohibit such behavior, then it would be
allowed by default.)

Are you sure you want to REQUIRE every conformant processor to fault on any
illegal but unneeded portion of the WSDL document?  As I pointed out in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0219.html
such a requirement would be a departure from the approach we're taking for
mandatory extensions.

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard