Re: Correction for the f2f Minutes (Also action 2004-01-30 for Jonathan)

Jonathan Marsh wrote:

>Thanks for the work on this Umit.  One reason I didn't complete the
>action is that I had some doubts about your correction that required
>more research.
>
>My initial recollection was that we were making it possible to reuse
><wsdl:service> in the body of a message as one way to indicate a service
>reference.  I've been checking some of my personal notes on the topic
>and they concur with the minutes as they were posted.

The logs of the CVS illustrates that this is a typo as I have
illustrated and what we were discussing is not the
wsdl:service but wsdl:Service.

>As I recall, the schema prevented <wsdl:service> from being reused
>because it wasn't a global element.

This issue has nothing to do with reusing service as a service
reference. This was a separate decision
of the f2f. There were two separate resolutions in the meeting.

>We made it global to remedy this,
>made the rest of the top-level elements global for consistency, and
>opened an issue on whether @name should be optional.

The remedy is not about the service references.

>This issue
>wouldn't make much sense if we were depending on the wsdl:Service type.

It is, because the type itself made the name attribute required. This is
already corrected tobe
optional in the schema and it allows the wsdl:Service to be reused for
extension. It is impossible to
reuse the element technically anyway if one wants to extend the
definition of the type and fix the
interface/bindings by using schema. The whole point of the exercise was
to illustrate what we can do with schema without using additional
mechanisms in WSDL.

>Roberto's proposal was not adopted, but provides some good scenarios
>which might be useful in developing the primer topic illustrating the
>reuse of <wsdl:service/>

Roberto's proposal was not adopted, that is correct. Roberto proposed
using a new service reference type which we have proven to be
unnecessary and decided to use wsdl:Service type. I am actually waiting
for him to confirm this as well.

However, Roberto's proposal depends on type extension and the primer can
only show reuse of wsdl:Service.

>It would be more than a typo to change <wsdl:service> (which is clearly
>an element) to "wsdl:Service type" in the resolution.  However, it
>doesn't seem that the illustration of <wsdl:service> in the primer
>prevents one from deriving an element from wsdl:ServiceType if that's
>what you wanted to do.

It is a typo as I have illustrated per the records. The issue is not
about preventing its use but what we say in the specification to guide
people what they can do.

>We've got the topic of this correction on the FTF agenda - I hope we can
>treat it as a historical question and not as a design review :-).

Sanjiva's writeup is correct and I don't think opening it is necessary
as it illustrates my recollection of the matter and also follows the
historical progress of the service definition in the schema that I
illustrated in this thread ;-)

--umit