Re: Minority objection to requiring unique GEDs or required feature to distinguish operations

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:08:45PM +0100, paul.downey@bt.com wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > Ok, but the key question is, does the algorithm ever use information
> > that isn't in the message itself (note, by "message" I mean all
> > information sent between agents, including, for example, TCP/IP and/or
> > underlying protocol data)?
>
> > If it doesn't - which appears to be the case as you've described it -
> > then you're good (see below).  If it does, then meaningful communication
> > cannot occur since there's an ambiguous contract in effect between the
> > agents.
>
> what about the example where "GuestOperation" and "GoldPayingOperation"
> both accept the same message, but the response is different after i've
> phoned the service provider and supplied my credit card number.

That would be ambiguous since the client wouldn't know which operation
was used.  It may turn out that this is desirable, but that would just
be coincidental.  There are architecturally superior (aka non-ambiguous)
ways to do what you want, such as breaking it up into two services and
using a single common operation (aka polymorphic dispatch).

Mark.