Re: Error in diagram?

Umit,

The diagrams look correct to me. Sanjiva replied already in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jun/0073.html but I'll
add a few comments.

The diagram does not reflect the syntax of WSDL. For example, a resource
may use an interface, but the <interface> does not point to the resource.
The <interface> is abstract and can be used by many resources. The line
from interface to resource is a "uses" relation.

Similarly, you should not infer that because <service> has an
@targetResource attribute that there should be a line from service to
resource. However, the diagram does show that if you start with a service
you can trace back to the resource so service and resource are related
functionally, hence the @targetResource attribute.

As I mentioned at the f2f, the diagram is inspired by COM. In COM, you
access objects through interfaces. Diagrammatically, you draw an object as
a box and add a "lollipop" for each interface available on that object.

The object is a black box, just like a Web resource. All you can do is
send messages to it. You have no idea how it's implemented. The circles on
the lollipops act like terminals that receive signals on a device. The
main difference here is that we have the further distributed computing
complications of protocols and URIs (bindings and endpoints).

Arthur Ryman

Umit Yalcinalp <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
06/19/2003 04:02 PM