RE: Why single-interface is broken

Hi all,

It seems to me that someone has a simpler, nicer model of WS description
that they are trying to push into WSDL 1.2. I'd be much more comfortable
if it was shown in its wholeness and not introduced step-by-step by
partial simplifications which may be debatable when standing alone.
Single interface per service is one such partial simplification.

I do see one concrete new capability that the attribute targetResource
brings us - adding ports to a resource without having to redefine the
existing services. This capability doesn't need the limitation of one
interface per service, though.

I think some proponents of one interface per service state that it's
good for discovery. How about a more radical step in this direction: in
order to facilitate discovery instances of a given interface, let's get
rid of the <service> element completely and add the targetResource
attribute on <port>. Compared to the current situation, we will lose
nothing but one WSDL construct that doesn't seem to have much of a value
any more.

<tongue-in-cheek>Oh, and then we could go and gather all the ports with
the same targetResource under one new construct, say <resource> and
remove the targetResource attribute. And then rename <resource> to
<service>. 8-)</tongue-in-cheek>

Best regards,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Senior Architect