Re: write-up of interaction patterns

Hi Sanjiva,

Somehow this note got stuck way up in my mail hierarchy and just
noticed. Please see below some follow-up.

Regards, Prasad

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> Please see below within <sw> .. </sw> (in blue, if the email format
> changing gods approve it).
>
> Sanjiva.

I thought the above was actually the document with instance of the
interaction (given it is contained in the portType definition). Is it not?
I was suggesting, the schema (generic interaction syntax) for definition
of specific interaction patterns needs to accommodate roles that are
optional and multiply present, as in the case of a fault. E.g. an
instance of a specific interaction pattern (operation) may not have any
faults to return or may need to return > 1 type of fault (message).

> 2. To be really usable, I think we need to specify/constrain how one
> should define the "pattern" that is identified in an interaction, is
> defined (i.e. the stuff the URI refers to). Without that, people are
> likely to define things in varying formats and with lots of scope for
> interpretation etc. (we would have created another WSDL 1.1:).
>
> <sw>The problem is that defining the format of the stuff at the end of
> the pattern URI would put us, not dangerously close to, but *in*
> choreography territory. I don't think any of wants that right now
> do we?</sw>

I am suggesting we come-up with a concrete syntax and clear guidelines.
Not really anything close to the level of getting into the choreography
territory.

> 3. You wrote:
> I suggest that we define the following patterns as a part of our work:
> input-output
> input-only
> event (see below)
> Adding event is great (and looks good). I would like to see "output"
> and "output-input" (equivalents of current solicit-response and
> Notification) covered as well. Without that we would have just
> introduced a new syntax w/o really resolving the issue that is the
> impetus behind all this.
>
> <sw>I think this approach provides a way to define clear and precise
> semantics for any pattern, including the infamous outbound ones. If
> we want to do that I can live with it ..</sw>
>
> 4. In a generic interaction (syntax) for an interaction, it seems
> useful to define the order of messages (which goes first,second,
> etc.), instead of pushing that to the semantics of the pattern.
> <sw>The problem is that order will not typically be just linear. In that
> case we're again in the choregraphy camp.</sw>

I guess one can see as that..

> 5. I guess I was supportive of this but, having introduced a lot of
> new syntax throughout WSDL 1.2, I am wondering if keeping the old
> "operation" syntax is really worth it. I was thinking from a backward
> compatibility perspective but, when much of the other syntax is
> incompatible, trying to keep this for that sake seems unnecessary.  We
> could however specify default values for the attributes so that most
> frequently used interaction patterns can be defined with simpler
> syntax, based on how other parts of the interaction laid out if desired..
>
> <sw>I like the idea of supporting the old syntax for common cases. I'm a
> firm believer in "simple things must be simple" ..</sw>

I am on the wall on this. If you would tug me hard enough I will fall
that side :)