RE: MEP proposal

Gudge, thanks for the response, see below for further comments in some
subthreads, please.

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 17:02, Martin Gudgin wrote:
> > Why does a fault reference refer to possibly multiple
> > messages? Why is this not similar to normal message
> > references? What does it mean if a fault reference 'C' refers
> > to messages 'M1' and 'M2'?
>
> It means that either message M1 or message M2 can appear at point 'C' in
> the MEP. We ( Amy, Jeff and I ) wrestled for a while with how to deal
> with faults and this is one approach, which we think captured the intent
> of the direction decided at the FTF. We also thought a little about
> generalizing message references to allow multiple messages, but I don't
> think it makes the 80/20 cut.

Either I'm going blind, or this explanation is not written in the
proposal. I think it ought to be there.

> Naming the MEPs something other than MEP1-7? I don't really mind. I
> would suggest we leave them as is because then they don't accumulate any
> baggage due to people reading particular properties into a particular
> name.
>
> Naming the message references something other than 'A', 'B', 'C'? I
> guess we could, again I don't really see the benefit, they're just there
> to allow us to sequence things.

Both mostly for simplicity and self-describability reasons. How often do
we see, for example, XML files with the elements as below? 8-)
<el1>
  <el2/>
  <el3/>
</el1>

> > For example, SOAP
> > Request/Response maps to MEP2, SOAP Response maps either to
> > MEP4 or MEP2, and a potential SOAP Req/Resp MEP involving one
> > intermediary would map to two WSDL MEPs - MEP2 for the
> > service and MEP8 (below) for the intermediary. And that's not
> > considering describing the client in a WSDL. 8-)
>
> We agreed that WSDL describes things from the POV of the service.

Either both parties can be considered a service in a client/server
relationship in at least some cases, or output-first MEPs don't make
sense. Or am I wrong?

Best regads,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation