RE: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web Services: R085

-----Original Message-----
From: Arthur Ryman [mailto:ryman@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 4:04 PM
To: Mark Baker
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org; www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web
Services: R085

Mark,

I agree the world more be simpler if everyone used URIs, but that crusade is
a task for the TAG.

Yup.  That was basically the point (such as there was!) of my off-topic
rant: Mark is absolutely right that the phone network SHOULD work by
everyone just entering a universal identifier and getting connected.  We
should thank Berners-Lee, Fielding, et. al that the Web (well, the Web of
HTTP URIs using widely deployed media types, anyway) does indeed work this
way.  But a whole lot of the world doesn't work this way, and that doesn't
terribly impede actually work getting done with the phone networks, JMS,
etc. etc. etc.

WSDL needs to support the kind of stuff that my telephone example was a
parable for -- the "URI" is a big help and the central component of the
description, but does not completely identify the actual protocol for
getting data back and forth.  In the meantime, the TAG (and Mark!) can and
should bang the drum to promote a world where all you REALLY need is a URI
(or phone number) to exchange data, but WSDL 1.2 can't be the poster child
for that vision.