Re: Proposal to Resolve encodingStyle Issues #5 and #30

Accordingly to http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/ the encodingStyle
attribute can occur on any child element of a header, body, or detail.
Therefore 3.2 allows you to describe the message more faithfully.

Is the freedom to allow multiple encoding styles within a single message
useful, or is it as useless as allowing a list of encodingStyle URIs was?
FYI, I have created messages that combine literal and SOAP encoding in a
single message, but they don't interoperate with .NET. Therefore I wonder
if in the quest for interop the industry will settle on using a single
encoding style within a message.

Arthur Ryman

                    "Jean-Jacques
                    Moreau"                To:     Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
                    <moreau@crf.cano       cc:     www-ws-desc@w3.org, ruellan@crf.canon.fr
                    n.fr>                  Subject:     Re: Proposal to Resolve encodingStyle Issues #5 and #30
                    Sent by:
                    www-ws-desc-requ
                    est@w3.org

                    06/27/2002 05:03
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "Jean-Jacques
                    Moreau"

I agree with restricting the value of encodingStyle to be a single URI.
Multiple URIs are no longer supported by SOAP 1.2. Mutliple URIs were
supported
by SOAP 1.1, but hardly ever used. (The perceived semantics of multiple
URIs
was unclear. The intended semantics was a list of overlapping, more-to-less
specific encoding styles.)

I think only option 3.2 is available, since SOAP 1.2 only allows the
encodingStyle AII on SOAP header blocks, SOAP body blocks and the SOAP
fault
Detail element (and all their descendants).

Does this make sense?

Jean-Jacques.

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.html#x5

> SOAP allows the encodingStyle attribute on any element of the message.
The

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.html#x30

> There are two parts to this issue:
> 30a: WSDL 1.1 allows a list of URIs as the value of the encodingStyle
> attribute, but SOAP 1.2 only allows a single URI.
> 30b: Same as #5.
>
> Proposed Resolutions
>
> 1. Close issue #5 as a duplicate of #30.
>
> 2. Issue 30a
>
> This is not really a problem, since when describing a SOAP 1.2 message,
> just use a single URI in the WSDL. Continue to use a list of URIs to
> describe SOAP 1.1 messages. I think the point of this issue is really
> whether we should also restrict the encodingStyle value to be a single
URI