Re: [Fwd: Re: info on the soap-response stuff I mentioned on the call today]

Sam Ruby wrote:

> The question I would like to see explored is how to describe such a
> service in WSDL.  The essense of the issue is how to represent the
> equivalent of hypertext links.  Starting from a document, the flow is as
> follows:

By the way, this was what I meant by requirement R085. I did not use the
world "hypertext links" because I thought the phrase "references" would
be more clear for people with programming language backgrounds. My
mental model for services like this is that there would be a WSDL for
each "resource type" (in this service there are resources like "rounds",
"toolkits", "tests", etc.) Somewhere in either the WSDL or the schema
(probably in an extension to schema) you would say that q:Toolkit
elements refer to resources/services that use "Toolkit.wsdl".

When you present this to a proxy builder, it would read all of the WSDLs
and generate classes for the different resource types. Unlike in
historical WSDL, a property of one service could be a proxy to another
service and so forth.

Issue:

In addition to R085 there is a small syntactic issue. WSDL must make it
possible to invoke an HTTP method like GET with no arguments, for the
case where the endpoint URI *is* the URI you want to GET. In other
words, http:operation/@location should be optional. I notice that
soap:operation has an issue to be made optional so there is some good
symmetry there.
--
Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
  Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com