Re: Issue 51: Should soap:header@part be nmtokens? (was RE: ACTION: All wg members to review editorial issues by July 11)

I think the onus is on SOAP. SOAP 1.2 clearly differentiates between SOAP header blocks and the SOAP body.

A SOAP header block is typically additional data that helps the ultimate SOAP receiver process the SOAP body, or data targeted to a SOAP intermediary along the SOAP message path. Syntactically, a SOAP header is contained within the SOAP Header element.

The SOAP body carries the main intent of the SOAP message. It is (implicitely) targeted to the ultimate SOAP receiver. It has an application defined structure, not one defined by SOAP.

Also, there are differences in the way SOAP header blocks and the SOAP body are processed. In particular, the SOAP body is not processed unless all mandatory SOAP header blocks are recognized and understood by the SOAP processor.

So, overall, I think we just have to recognize they are enough syntactic and semantical differences, that we have to keep them separate in WSDL 1.2 as well. (And, BTW, I think it would be wrong to dissociate from the direction set by the XMLP WG, unless one really think they got it wrong, in which case we should raise it as a
Last Call issue for SOAP 1.2.)

I hope this helps,

Jean-Jacques.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-soap12-part1-20020626/#procsoapmsgs