Re: WSDL Requirements

"Sadiq, Waqar" wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I am having a hard time understanding your requirement.  I actually do
> understand your requirements but don't think those are requirements on WSDL
> itself.  Whether a web service is stateful or stateless is a characteristic
> of the web service.  I don't clearly see the role of a description language
> in that?  Can you explain?

We seem to have a miscommunication and I don't know how to get through
it. In C, it is possible to refer to an integer like this:

  int a;

or a pointer to an integer like this:

  int *a;

In Java, it is roughly:

  int a;

versus

  Integer a;

(in Java, most types are by reference, not by value)

If it makes sense to define a type as integer then it makes just as much
sense to define it as *reference to integer*.

In all languages, pointers or references are the fundamental building
blocks of applications that are more complicated than toys. Resource
references are the most fundamental building block of the Web. Interface
references are the fundamental building blocks of COM and CORBA. If the
Web Services standards do not support it then they are fundamentally
weaker than any generalized network protocol standards in history.

Furthermore, if the web services system is to be tool-like and not
toy-like then web services will have to be a first class type so that
they can be composed.

 Paul Prescod