From: David Booth [mailto:dbooth@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 1:01 PM
To: Jeffrey Schlimmer
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: Re: Web Services Description: Requirements

At 06:11 PM 2/8/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>One of the first activities of the W3C Web Services Description Working

>Group is to draft a set of requirements and scenarios for the working
>group. Per our first teleconference, below is a draft list of
>requirements; the list is an individual contribution -- it does not
>reflect any decisions of the working group -- all mistakes are mine.
>
>Please review the list and provide feedback.
>
>--Jeff
>
>. . .
>PORT TYPE (and OPERATION) (2xx)
>
>Must be able to describe simple one-way messages, i.e., either incoming

>or outgoing (event) messages.
>
>Must be able to describe simple request-response-fault message
>exchange.
>
>(Not a requirement to describe arbitrary message exchanges.)

Not sure what you mean by "fault" here.
Also, did you mean to include both request-response and solicit-response

exchanges (as described in http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl#_porttypes )?

>Must be able to describe sets of messages that form a logical group
>(i.e., a port type).
>
>Must be able to derive a port type from another by extension of the
>logical group of messages.

Do you mean creating a new port type from another by adding more message
types?

>. . .
>ENDPOINT (5xx)
>
>Must be able to describe endpoint location using URIs.
>
>Must be able to describe address for specific port instances within a
>service.
>
>Must be able to separate design-time from run-time information.

What do you mean by "design-time" and "run-time" in relation to
endpoints?

>. . .
>SECURITY
>
>Compliance must not preclude building implementations that are
>resistant to attacks.

This sounds like a fairly weak requirement.  Can it be stronger?

David Booth