Re: Message exchange patterns document

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 13:59, Hugo Haas wrote:

> As per my action item, I have started a document about message
> exchange patterns whose goals are (from the abstract):
>
>      * explain how to document a MEP.
>      * list the MEPs developed within the Web Services Activity.
>      * eliminate discrepancies.
>
> The document is available at:
>
> 	     http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/cg/2/07/meps.html
>
> Message exchange patterns have a role in SOAP, WSDL, and are likely to
> come to play in other places (e.g. conversation, choreography).
>
> I think that the XML Protocol Working Group and the Web Services
> Description Working Group should come in agreement about using a same
> concept and way to describe MEPs, and that the Web Services
> Architecture Working Group should look into generalizing MEPs.

After some readings on SOAP, WSDL, and other languages MEPs, I wonder
how useful it would be to have a common document for them. SOAP works at
the protocol level, WSDL works at the message level, and choreographic
languages work at the web service level. You can hardly compare them.
MEPs are more horizontal than vertical imho.

Philippe